A year and a half after its daily paper stopped printing, Guelph has become a living laboratory for the loss of traditional local media – a rising risk in communities across Canada, the Globe and Mail says. Reporter Simon Houpt explores what Guelphites have lost, and who's trying to fill the void.
The story -- Warning: It's long!
Saturday, July 22, 2017
Friday, July 21, 2017
H.G. Watson writes on the J-Sourse web page:
"If you watched the early evening newscast on CityNews in Toronto recently, you might have noticed someone missing — the anchor.
"That’s because since 2015, CityNews has been experimenting with cutting out the middleman during their early evening newscasts. At 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. there are now no anchors to be found. Instead, reporters are running the show, throwing to each other’s stories from the field and in the studio. It’s a model that CityNews is looking to export as they expand to five new markets in the next year.
"Dave Budge, Rogers Media’s vice president of news and information for television told J-Source that the new anchorless newscast model emphasizes the work journalists are doing in the field. 'What we’ve found is the audience trusts and responds to those working reporters even more profoundly than they do to an anchor who is in a studio who is doing little more than reading introductions to those reporters’ stories,'” he said.
Thursday, July 20, 2017
The Globe and Mail's John Doyle writes:
"Andrew Chang was only a few minutes into anchoring The National on CBC the other evening when readers were onto me with opinions: “He seems very nice.” And, “He seems agitated.”
"In homes and cottages and, probably, at Tim Hortons across Canada, the post-Mansbridge future of The National is being discussed with vim and vigour. Or so it seems.
"Recently, I wrote about the mail I’d received, unprompted, on the matter, calling it a “small obsession” in Canada. And I invited more feedback. Well, it was a deluge. This thing is big and getting bigger."
Tuesday, July 18, 2017
Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly has announced Ian Scott as the new chairman of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, iPolitics reports.
Scott, who starts his five-year term on Sept. 5, was most recently executive director of government and regulatory affairs at Telesat Canada. He has also held executive roles at Telus (TSX:T), Call-Net Enterprises and the Canadian Cable Television Association.
Scott replaces Jean-Pierre Blais, who did not reapply for the job when his term came to an end earlier this year.
Joly also announced Caroline Simard as vice-chairwoman (Broadcasting) and Christianne Laizner as interim vice-chairwoman (Telecommunications).
Monday, July 17, 2017
After an emotional apology for skipping a sentencing hearing to do interviews for CP24, lawyer and frequent media commentator Ari Goldkind avoided being cited for contempt of court by a Toronto judge on Monday morning, the Star's Alyshah Hasham reports.
Addressing Superior Court Justice Michael Dambrot, Goldkind admitted to making a “very poor decision” and said his failure to attend court was not just “inconvenient or disruptive but disrespectful to (the judge) personally and to the court as an institution.”
Goldkind’s lawyer Scott Hutchinson told the court that on June 7, Goldkind was “offered a professional opportunity from a media outlet” and attempted to reschedule the June 8 sentencing hearing to accommodate it.
- Guelph's post-Mercury blues: How an Ontario city i...
- The end of anchors?
- John Doyle: Now a huge obsession — who will anchor...
- Veteran telecom and broadcast executive Ian Scott ...
- Lawyer skips court for CP24 interview; apologizes ...
- Financial Post take on the Chronicle Herald situat...
- Nova Scotia Government to mediate Halifax Chronicl...
- CBS News forms partnership with BBC, replacing Sky...
- John Doyle keeps getting mail on Mansbridge's succ...
- Racism, sexism — and a press conference gone horri...
- ▼ July (10)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)