Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sun's Warmington says he got a threat from a cop


Warmington, pictured, writes:

"It’s not easy criticizing police.
"And it’s certainly not fun receiving an intimidating message from a Toronto Police officer’s Facebook account warning that “karma” is “strange” and to “buckle up.” But this e-mail was sent to me, I was informed by Staff Supt. Cyril Fernandes who heads the Professional Standards Unit Monday night, will be investigated. Although I did not lay a complaint, and had simply asked Chief Bill Blair for comment, Fernandes said the police were taking the initiative on their own. I was writing about a man named Mike who called the John Oakley Show on AM640 and told the panel consisting of lawyer Lorne Honickman, Toronto Star columnist Joe Fiorito and NDP MPP Peter Kormos that during the G20 “99% of the public were fine and 99% of the officers were fine” but “there was absolutely a culture that was tainted.” "As a result, Mike said, “the only way I can go out on the streets and look the public in the eye when I am doing my job (is) they need to know there is a certain layer of protection that exists.” Short of there being a proper inquiry to hear testimony like this, I thought Mike’s words were important to the process."

Click on the title to read the full column.

No comments:

Blog Archive