Thursday, March 31, 2011

Harper ‘backing out’of one-on-one debate: Ignatieff

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff says Stephen Harper’s refusal to join in a one-on-one debate shows that the Conservative leader cannot be trusted. Harper is now “backing out” of the debate, Ignatieff told reporters during a campaign stop in Winnipeg. “Less than 24 hours ago, he was saying, ‘Let’s go into the ring, toe-to-toe, head to head,’ and I said, ‘Look, I’m willing to do that, provided that other leaders participate in a regular debate.’ I don’t want anybody excluded (from debates).” “And now he’s turned around. You can’t trust this man,” Ignatieff said. “This is about respect for the democratic process. I think Canadians would like such a debate. I’m willing to go anywhere, anytime (to debate Harper) and I repeat that. Just 24 hours after saying he’d like to square off against Ignatieff, Harper now says the idea is dead.

No comments:

Blog Archive