Saturday, February 1, 2014

Photographer James Nachtwey injured in Bangkok

James Nachtwey
American photojournalist James Nachtwey was among several people injured in clashes in Bangkok today ahead of contentious national elections set for Sunday, the WSJ blog reports.
“I got hit in the leg with a bullet during a gunfight,” he told Southeast Asia Realtime. “There’s an entry and exit. I’m walking now. I’m okay.”
Nachtwey, who has documented conflicts across the globe since the 1980s but was not on assignment in Bangkok, said it was “hard to tell” where the bullet came from, and it was unclear who shot him.
“I consider myself extremely lucky,” he said.
The 65-year-old photographer said medics cleaned his wound on the site of the clash but he told them to let him out of the ambulance when it started to drive away. He said he visited a hospital later to have the wound attended to.
“I’ll be able to work tomorrow,” he said.
Nachtwey has been a contract photographer for Time Magazine since 1984, done work for the Magnum Photos cooperative and was a founding member of the VII photo agency.

No comments:

Blog Archive